One of the best ways for you to make a significant contribution to Hindu Dharma generally and to the Hindu Community world-wide that also preserves your memory forever is through a legacy gift to the Hindu University of America detailed in your Will or Trust. The specific language that we suggest in your Will or Trust is as follows:
Identify the Recipient:
- “Hindu University of America (HUA) is *a charitable trust* whose Federal Employer Identification Number is # 59-2977691, located at 401 East Jackson Street # Suite 2340, Sun Trust Financial Center, Tampa FL 33602, USA
Specify your Gift: Percentage of estate, dollar amount, or property
- “I give ______ percent (______ %) of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate to the Hindu University of America.”
- “I give, devise and bequeath to the Hindu University of America, the sum of _______dollars ($ _______________)”
- “I give the following described property: __________________to the Hindu University of America.”
- “I give all the rest, residue and remainder of my estate to Hindu University of America.”
- This gift to HUA is to be assigned at the sole discretion of the HUA Board of Trustees to one or more existing or new funds and may be co-mingled for investment purposes with other funds administered by HUA without restriction as to permissible investments.
Specify the nature of your Gift: Endowment versus Current Use
- For an endowment gift – the following wording may be used: “The principal of this gift shall be held in perpetuity, and the income from its investment as determined by the Board of Trustees of Hindu University of America may be distributed towards any purpose where most needed.
- For an operational fund gift – the following wording may be used: “The full amount of this gift, or the proceeds from the disposal of these assets, may be distributed towards any purpose where most needed.
Specify the intended Use of your Gift: Unrestricted versus Restricted
Add a Codicil to an existing Will:
- If you have already prepared a will or trust, you may draw up a Codicil which contains a supplement to your existing will or living trust. Ensure that your codicil is notarized and attached to your existing estate document(s). If you do this yourself, the entire codicil should be written in your own hand. The following is an example of a codicil for a specific bequest:
- “In addition to the will I executed on (Date of Will), I now desire to add this provision for the “Hindu University of America” located at 401 East Jackson Street # Suite 2340, Sun Trust Financial Center, Tampa FL 33602, USA, namely to provide (specify percentage of estate or dollar amount, or describe asset) to be used for (specify particular fund or write “any purpose where most needed”). Ensure that your Codicil includes the following:
Thank you for considering a legacy gift to support Hindu University of America.